Jquery provides the basis for many of the new website platforms which are commonly referred to as Web 2.0 or Web 3.0.
.js file that you link to from your webpage.
What can you do with jQuery?
- Animated effects to elements. jQuery lets you easily add effects such as fading in/out, sliding in/out, and expanding/contracting.
- Manipulating the DOM. You can easily add, remove, and reorder content in the Web page using just a couple of lines of code.
- Image slideshows. You can use jQuery effects to build nice animated slideshows and lightboxes.
- Drop-down menus. jQuery makes it easy to create multi-level dropdowns with animations.
- Drag-and-drop interfaces. Use jQuery to build a page with elements that can be repositioned or reordered simply by dragging and dropping.
- Adding power to forms. With jQuery you can easily add complex client-side form validation, create auto-complete Ajax
jQuery is free to download and use, and is dual-licensed under the MIT and GPL licenses.
As well as the jQuery library itself, hundreds of jQuery plugins are available to add even more power and functionality to your scripts.